20/01/2014

Too cold...

It has been quite cold here the last days so I have been lazy and comfortable and have not driven the ponies. Yesterday I thought it would be nice to take a few photos with me and my beautiful mares and so we did. Here some:









Jenniefer on the left, not driven and in foal, then Swinhill's Paulette in the middle, driven in single and pair, and on the right Humledals Izabelle, just long reined.

Jenniefer I will try to long rein later on, Izabelle was not at all comfortable with long reining, she works like a clock but sweats a lot = is stressed inwards, will take it slow with her and see if she is more suitable for just riding and being a pony club pony :)

It is very important to choose the right type of ponies for driving. We have had a few ponies who I have chosen to sell as I thought they would not be as suitable for driving as I would wish. It takes a lot of time to break to driving if the pony is too excited or stressed or afraid of things happening behind. When chooseing a driving pony I prefer absolutely one whos reaction type is not bucking. If you look at horses in flocks when they run and have fun, some of them typically bucks, others stands on their hindlegs and so on, they have a typical way of reacting. I prefer one that does not react on everything with kicking or bucking - of course all horses do it but, well it is hard to describe :D All horses don't so easily strech their feet backwards though they would bump their bump up for example. It is the ones who really easily kicks in general that I avoid. Others are just too excited or afraid and try to run off for any price, it is also not so good when you think that the carrige will follow. So ponies who are comfortable with most of things, relays on people and have realtively calm reactions in new situations and are quick to get back to the "I listen to people"-mode are the best ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment